Monday, January 5, 2009

Attitude - barrier or boost?

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. "
~Winston Churchill

I think that this has been most evident to me while working with people with disabilities. Their attitudes spanned the full continuum from "I can do anything if given the chance and time to figure out the best way for me to do this" to "No one will let me do this so I won't try". Most people are midway between the two, but the ones who had confidence and willingness to try were the most successful. They also taught me the most!

I also have a button that reads "Attitudes are the real barriers." Attitudes of job seekers, of employers, of counsellors, of society and governments.

So I try to do a periodic attitude audit, and encourage others to do the same.

Enjoy!
Keltie Creed

No comments:

Post a Comment